Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Taxes and the Suburbs

This is a little poem I made up the other night while I was trying to do my taxes:
I'm doing taxes, I hate taxes
Used to love taxes
Cause I got all my money back
Now I have to pay instead
Stupid Independent Contractor status
I'm broke, oh so broke
I hate taxes

On Wednesday I went out to Lake Oswego for an interview. When we had lunch and I told Igor where I had gone he said, "Oh, you mean 'Lake No-Negro'?" I was wondering why I was getting stared at so much. I usually have a strong, physical dislike to places like Lake Oswego (for those not from these parts, Lake Oswego is one of the rich suburbs of Portland - people like to say places like Lake Oswego are 'in the Portland metro area', but that's just a pretty name for the 'burbs).

Despite the fact I hate Lake Oswego and am really glad I wasn't brought up to want to live in a place like it, I actually had a pretty interesting time going out there and coming back. There was a guy on the return bus that looked like a younger, tough Lyle Lovett and I couldn't help but stare at the natural pompadour his hair made. Fascinating. I wrote down more while I was on the bus, but I've misplaced the thing I wrote in.

*Temporal Note: I'm actually posting this on April 12th*

No comments: